Grilled Butterflied Lamb Leg with Mint-Pistachio Pesto
This Grilled Butterflied Lamb Leg with Mint-Pistachio Pesto is a delicious fall and winter recipe. The homemade pesto pairs perfectly with the grilled lamb leg for a well-balanced dish. Serve it with your favorite fall sides for an elevated main entrée.
1 hour, 20 mins
Total cook time
- 3 pounds butterflied lamb leg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shelled, toasted pistachios (toast in a pan for 8 to 10 minutes)
- 1 cup fresh mint (leaves only)
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley (stems are okay)
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- pinch of red chili flakes
Step 1 :: Lamb
Set lamb leg open on a cutting board.
Step 2 :: Lamb
Trim off visible fat.
Step 3 :: Lamb
Season lamb generously with salt and pepper; allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to grilling
Step 4 :: Pesto
In a food processor, add pistachios, mint, parsley, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper and chili flakes; blend until somewhat chunky.
Step 5 :: Pesto
Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill the lamb leg to medium-rare (remove from heat when thermometer reads between 130° and 135°), or to desired doneness. Rest the meat, lightly covered, for at least 10 minutes before serving. Slice meat across the grain into thin slices.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.