Better Homes & Gardens
Simple Chicken Tikka Masala
This may be a popular takeout meal, but it's actually easy to make this mildly spicy, creamy chicken dish at home. This recipe calls for prepared red curry paste, usually found in the ethnic section of your grocery store.
2 hour, 40 mins
Total cook time
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves,
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt,
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger,
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder,
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander,
- ½ teaspoon paprika,
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom,
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin,
- Nonstick cooking spray,
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce,
- ¼ cup half-and-half or light cream,
- 1 - 2 tablespoons red curry paste,
- ½ teaspoon garam masala,
- ⅛ teaspoon salt,
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)
- 2 cups hot cooked brown basmati rice or one 8.8-ounce pouch cooked brown rice, heated according to package directions,
Cut chicken breast halves into 3-inch pieces; pierce each piece in several places with a sharp knife. Cut any thicker chicken pieces in half horizontally. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl combine yogurt, ginger, garlic, coriander, paprika, cardamom and cumin. Pour marinade over chicken. Seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Coat a grill pan with cooking spray; heat pan over medium heat. Add chicken pieces; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown, turning once.
Transfer chicken to a 2-quart shallow baking dish or au gratin dish. In a medium bowl combine tomato sauce, half-and-half, curry paste, garam masala and salt. Pour over chicken, stirring to coat.
Bake, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170°F), stirring once. If desired, sprinkle chicken with cilantro. Serve chicken and sauce over rice.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.