Boasting at least 4 nutrition powerhouse plant foods, this super easy pesto packs a health punch with spinach and basil, walnuts and extra virgin olive oil. Omega-3s come from walnuts and spinach. Each of the pesto ingredients contribute antioxidants or anti-inflammatory compounds, but most of them provide both!
Total cook time
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Half of a 9-ounce box frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (washed and dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (add more to taste if desired)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (add more if desired)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (can be omitted if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (add more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (add more to taste if desired)
Toast walnuts in a medium, non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat until lightly brown and fragrant. Add to food processor bowl.
Gently squeeze some of the excess liquid from the thawed frozen spinach (the spinach should measure about 1/2 cup). Add to food processor bowl.
Add fresh basil, lemon juice, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil to food processor bowl and pulse until nicely blended. Add more olive oil if needed for desired pesto texture.
Add Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and briefly process. Add more pepper and minced garlic to taste and salt to taste if desired.
If not serving immediately, spoon pesto into a covered dish and drizzle some olive oil over the top (to help seal the pesto) and place plastic wrap directly on top with the air pressed out. Then add the lid to the container and refrigerate until needed.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.